Friday, November 30, 2012

Discussions in Math

Three teachers started talking about the learning focus on the Lesson Study.  As newbies, our meeting was like walking into deep fog.   In the relaxed atmosphere, we realized that our students need to understand what they are really thinking by communicating.  So applying some discussion elements in the lesson was a very natural direction to start up with.  What about the subject?  "Reading has vast opportunities for discussion," one brought up.  What about math?  On that day, we concluded to not include math because of its simplicity.  Everybody looks satisfied.

That night, I was thinking about the discussion possibilities in math.  The regular discourse in this subject wouldn't require such sophisticated conversation skills.  For example, reply to the question, "What is the answer you came up with?" could be "2 apples."  It is not even a complete sentence.  And it is the beauty of math.  But what if students put their heads together to tackle the story problems?  Yes, just like Math Olympiad.  They don't have to be math whizzes.  I became quite hopeful to try to train all of my students to contribute their ideas in the small group settings.

My college intern got excited for this plan next morning.  We brainstormed the specific protocol for the discussion so that a leading student can follow.  We made six sets of cards in in rings.


1.    I am ____ and I lead our discussion today.  Please follow the discussion rules. (Read Discussion Expectations.) Here is the problem that we are going to solve. (Read a problem.)

2.    What information do we know about this problem? (underline)

3.    What do we have to solve? (wavy line)

4.    What strategies might we use?
·         “My idea is ______.  What do you think?”
·         “I agree with ____ because_______.”
·         “I disagree with ______ because ______.”

5.     Let’s organize and write our solutions in the notebook.
Discussion Expectations:
·         Speak one at a time when allowed.
·         Look and listen to a speaker with respect.
·         Agree to disagree.
..

I    Eye-witnessing six leaders proudly leading their own groups was an amazing experience.  Each team has different strengths. While I was listening to their conversation, I could provide appropriate suggestions and necessary re-directions/re-teaching in the small groups.  I got a good feeling in terms of student engagement in this math discussion activity.  My next step is to assure that they are able to solve similar problems independently.

    I cannot wait for the next Lesson Study meeting.  We are going to design some lessons together, finally.  I now know whatever subject we choose, both teachers and students must have common understanding of discussion.  Then, practice.  I hope we will  find fantastic outcomes in our students' academic achievement and self-esteem.



I



 




No comments:

Post a Comment