Thursday, July 3, 2014

Summer Special Memoir vol. 9



Sambo among Us
When we come back from our summer vacation to school, teachers organize a Black Contest in this large temple hall.  Kids compete against each other to see how dark they become over the summer.  Although I have tried really hard to win every summer, my competition always ends in the first round.  To me, being dark is a way to make a connection to Black Sambo from the book.  A champion of the black contest is always extremely dark, just like Sambo. 

A black, smart, and witty boy, Sambo, somehow gets in trouble with tigers.  However, he wisely escapes from them, and quickly climbs onto the top of the coconut trees.  These tigers have no clue where Sambo went.  The tigers keep running around the trees, looking for the mischief until they finally melt into butter.  His mom and Sambo feast on pancakes with Tiger Butter until their stomachs cannot accept anymore. 

I want to be Sambo.  My imagination brings heavenly rich, golden yellow, and mouthwatering butter on top of more than the 25 slices of pancakes right in front of me.  I strongly believe I should receive “real” pancakes with Tiger Butter as long as I become a Black Contest champion, perhaps as a prize.  I also know I am not going to win no matter how hard I try because my home has a fatal disadvantage.  Although my hometown is surrounded by the water, our home is not quite a walking distance to the beach compared to the majority of the kids in our school.  This year’s champion is even darker than real Sambo in my opinion.  Especially in the dark temple hall, he is almost invisible.  We can only track where he is by carefully finding the white part of his eyes.  I enviously and impatiently clap my hands for another episode of losing. 

At least Grandma Masu will take me to the pancake house next weekend.  I know I will order two slices of pancakes with a butter cube on the top.  She will say ok when I ask to order an extra amount of syrup and lemon tea.  As long as I am with Grandma Masu, I don’t really have to be Sambo to get tasty pancakes with melting butter. 

Note: In a few decades, I will learn about the controversy over the Sambo story in the multicultural literacy class in an American grad school. 

No comments:

Post a Comment