Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Summer Special Memoir vol.12



My Lunch Obsession
Opening the lid of my lunchbox is one of the highlights of the day, in addition to making my teacher laugh in the school bus.  I can’t stop thinking about lunch today because I know what is in my lunch.  My lunch box is not even an unfashionable aluminum bento box.  It is a fancy yellow plastic basket wrapped by a pink handkerchief.  My mother was halfway through her sandwich project when I came down to the kitchen this morning.  Many pieces of fully sliced, seven millimeter thick white bread were waiting to be sandwiched.  Last night, we stopped by the Andersen Bakery.  Picking up the fresh-from-the-oven bread is our routine whenever we visit Grandma Masu.  Margarine and strawberry jam are thinly pasted onto each side of the bread.  It is too thin that you hardly taste any sweetness.  In fact, what I mostly taste is the salt from the margarine.  It will be a jackpot moment when the red chunk of jam hits my tongue.  I know she doesn’t cut any crust off but I still dream about the joyous surprise of having no crust, just white sandwich bread lines in my lunch basket.  Unfortunately, that dream will never come true.  For now, at least I have something special in today’s lunchbox rather than a tin lunch box with a red sour plum inside. 

Besides, I bring sweetened black tea in my thermos instead of green tea.  One of the few simple lunch rules here is that green tea should be the accompaniment of rice.  Black tea should be sweetened and accompanied by bread.  You can also enjoy your sweetened black tea with your breakfast toast.  No other optional beverage is available, even water.  Elders in the family always say, “You cannot drink water from faucet.  You must boil it first.  Otherwise, you will have a stomachache.” Once you boil the water, my mother cools it off, then puts green tea leaves or other Eastern Medicinal tea leaves into the water.  When you want to drink refreshing and keenly cold well water from the faucet, the best you can do is to sneakily snatch the water.  But again, a water glass cannot be seen on the dining table in my house, because water is not an official drink for a traditional family like us, if you call my family traditional that is.  If you are courageous enough to bring out a pop can or a glass of milk for your meal on the table, you will be shunned or even be declared a criminal for the rest of your life.  Our refrigerator doesn’t have a variety of resources anyway, so none of us have ever been shunned.  A few weeks ago, I was overjoyed when a waitress brought a glass of water to each of us at the restaurant, because it was my first time receiving it during a meal.  The restaurant serves water because it is a fantasized pleasure that differentiates from our “traditional” real life.  Maybe they boiled the water and cooled it off without tea leaves for people like us. 

Lunch menus at home have some nonnegotiable regulations, too.  You never have any opportunities to eat sandwiches for lunch or dinner at home.  By the way, American Hamburgers are not considered to be or categorized as sandwiches in Japan.  Bread is allowed in exclusively three occasions, such as breakfast toast, a breakfast sandwich, or school lunch.  As breakfast toast has grown to be modern, my parents try to implement this modernization at home at their level.  Here, Mother stirs Japanese traditional Miso soup along with toast every morning to serve her husband.  The mixed up Eastern and Western fragrance from our kitchen confuse my senses in the early morning, every day. 

Old folks in my region think rice gives you more power and a smarter brain than bread.  If you saw the endless green rice fields in the countryside during summer, you would agree with these folks that rice is the best for the nation.  Nothing really can be a substitute for rice, especially for older people.  Bread is the food that the Western enemies eat.  Even the young hamburger generation created the “RICE Burger” with a Teriyaki taste at the recently opened fast food restaurants. 

One bread company is so desperate for clearing the negative image off of their face.  The company composes a song to put into their TV commercial and plays it over and over during kids’ golden time consisting of watching cartoon shows.  …We’ve grown up with bread so we are healthy and smart.  We always get 100% on tests, no problem…  I am contemplating these claims and thinking about myself.  I am somewhat smart because I eat a couple of loaves of toast every morning.  Am I supposed to get smarter if I increase the bread consumption and perhaps eat more sandwich lunches than rice balls, or substitute bread meals more often at home?  Am I just seeking the validation of which is the more appropriate carbohydrate energy source for my body including my brain?  Maybe my dilemma is not superficial.  I wish I could choose what I eat because I justify it, not because old folks have believed in eating it for a long time.  Either way, I am simply and heavily influenced by the bread company’s “Eating More Bread” promotion ads, as they expected.  I love bread!  I am smart!  I am one of the easiest targets among all afternoon cartoon generations even though I don’t have much opportunities to eat bread anyway.

My mother keeps spreading butter thinly onto a pair of bread.  Because the butter is too hard and the bread is too soft, she often makes unpredictable holes on the surface of the white bread.  She picks up a piece of almost transparently thin ham and a couple of cucumber slices, then, lays them over the miserable looking holes on the bread.  The orderly lined sandwich in the yellow basket will make my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment