Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Being Different

One sunny day in June, I waved at the construction worker for my simple appreciation from the driving seat.  The worker smiled at me.  It made my day.   At that moment, my 10 year old interrupted my happy moment, saying, "Mom, you wave differently."

I stopped smiling.  "How am I supposed to wave?"  I peeked at her through the mirror.  She is smiling.  "No, Mom, you are fine, " she replies.  I got very confused.  "What do you mean?"  I asked her back.  She responded to me, "You have your own 'waving' style that is awesome.  Isn't being different good?"

I was shocked.  I felt like I have been promoting the positive message about diversity in the daily practices in my own classroom, however, I, myself had a kind of "fear" of "being different" deep inside of me.  It was the eye opening moment.

"That's right.  Being different is great.  I am proud of my unique waving style.  Thank you for reminding me."  Teachers don't have to be in the classroom.  Teaching and learning moments are everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment