Saturday, May 26, 2018

A Weekend Writer Without Computer




After several hours of updates, my computer woke up with a black screen.  Of course, I freaked out.  My teenage son tried to help remotely, but it didn't work well.  He referred me to one of his teenage friends.  I was too embarrassed to contact him.  I came home from my day job on Friday evening, hoping that my computer would decide to work.  Well, against my wish, it decided not to work.... I was devastated.  Now my dear computer is in Memorial Day Boot Camp at the repair store this weekend.

While I was writing this I found a couple of puns: Boot (computer) and Camp (Memorial day).  These discoveries made me chuckle a little!  Coming up with new things that I have never thought about and changing my perspective on old things is really fun.  In fact, who said no one can use my husband's computer?  I used flexible and creative thinking instead of draining and desperate sighs.  And I am happy about that.  

I also know that it's often hard to think that way.  That's why we need to learn mindfulness.  You can learn how to connect with yourself and embrace your emotions.  Mindfulness training teaches your brain when to respond and how to respond to frustrating situations. Being angry never works.  It makes you even angrier and never brings any solutions.  So, why don't we breathe?

As a weekend writer, when I first found out about the absence of my computer for this long weekend, I felt miserable.  Then, I took some breaths.  I told myself, “If you want to write, steal your husband’s computer or write something in your notebook.  Or else, just give yourself a short break from writing.”  Maybe I will find more adventures that can be used in my future book!

The black screen computer made my disappointed day to one of the memorable (another pun for Memorial Day!) milestones in my writing career.

Happy Memorial Day Weekend!  And remember to breathe!


No comments:

Post a Comment