Thursday, May 17, 2012

Soul of Language

My 8th grade teacher, Mr. Turtle, told us about 言霊 (Kotodama), translated in English, "Soul of Language".  "Language coming from your mouth carries your soul.  When you have a certain message you want to convey, you talk to the person or people.  Your words have spirit that is the desire of internal connection with another person."

Mr. Turtle was a science teacher.  Another dimension of his job was a top teacher in the School Discipline Committee who took care of the Gang-Member-Wanna-Be Students.  It might be difficult to imagine that Japanese students misbehave or be disobedient in school.  Since Japanese alcohol, Sake, has been closely existing with people's lives through the culture and history, it is an easy access to anyone. Needless to say, Sake is made out of rice.  It was a natural invention based on geographical reasons.  Many of religious ceremonies and celebrations, such as New Years, people drink Sake to purify the spirit.  Some even say Sake is good for your health.  Adults allow their kids to explore this traditional alcohol since they were very young.  Consequently, the problem becomes a nightmare for some families.  Another bad habit in teenagers is smoking.  It's, too, easily to purchase through the vending machine just like a can of Coca Cola.  Nowadays, the regulation and authorities sound more strict than before.  The Gang-Member-Wanna-Be Students smell different to the regular middle school students.  It was pretty evident that they smoked behind the school building.  Boys in the group wear larger sized uniform.  Inside of their jacket, an amazingly colorful and artistic yet scary  tattoo like dragon was stitched.  Mr. Turtle somehow learned all about hot scandals from smoking to stitches before anyone knew.  He got them and beat them as if that was the only way he could correct their wrong choices.  I wasn't in that group, in fact, I followed the school uniform code obediently.  My long hair was braided, my ribbon was tied toward my neck, my skirt covered only my knees, and white socks were folded in thirds.  If one thing I did wrong was homework.  Mr. Turtle's homework was to copy next three pages of science text book including pictures, graphs, and maps.  I knew I was in trouble when my bottom was beaten by the broom.  His story about his son also terrified us.  "My son has a hearing problem in his left ear, because I beat him once."  I wasn't courageous enough to disobey him. I even didn't think about taking any risks. 

Surprisingly, every story he told us was logical and made sense to my early teen years opposed to my fear of Mr. Turtle.  "Soul of Language" was the most memorable one that I have been passing on to my students year after year.  "Even if your word has soul, it doesn't necessarily and automatically seep into the person's blood.  If you don't see the eyes, the soul will pass over their heads, just like that."  Mr. Turtle put his right hand over his head and made the quick karate chop motion from top of his head to down.  "Soul only goes into to another person only through eyes.  That is why you have to look at the person when you talk.  That is when you successfully communicate and feel the sense of understanding each other."

Less than 10 years from that time, I was in the teacher's lounge sitting as a brand new teacher.  7th grade science teacher in his 40's looked really happy to have young (and cute!) teacher.  This mentor teacher of mine started talking to all 7th grade students in the first assembly.  "See Story.  You guys think you are listening to someone because someones voice vibrates into your ears, however, that is not listening.  You have to look into eyes when you listen to someone.  Only way you can understand someone is to look.  You must see the story." 

Lectures like this cannot be seen around here where I live.  I wish the inspirational speech could be included in the common core.  If it's not once a week, at least once a month,  some administrators or teacher leaders consider starting some "human-to-human" talk like this in regular bases.  What a treasure it can be that young children are going to grow up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment