Monday, June 18, 2012

Time for Celebration

In the two story house of the neighborhood, there were people from everywhere in and out of the town.  Green grass was mowed yesterday, numeral pots full of colorful flowers, balloons, countless pictures from infants to the high school prom, and the sign, "Happy Graduation".  In addition to the familiar faces of friends and relatives, people in different ages, jobs, and relationships congratulated my niece and enjoyed the endless conversation with each other.  The lady who sat by me started talking about the cultural diversity.  "The American's communication style's is almost too open and rude compare to some other countries.  I think we are friendly."  I replied, "I guess the way of our communication is developed for the necessity in our true lives. Our country has people from everywhere.  People who have different backgrounds and culture needed to communicate to each other in order to live together harmoniously on the same land."  Sacajawea and Pocahontas were occupied in my head.  I though I was on the right track.

A few days later, I was stuck.  The film, Traces of the Trade http://www.tracesofthetrade.org/ was navigated on my laptop screen while checking the Moncure family's website http://moncure.mysite.com/.  The principal, in the school where I have previously worked, shared her remarkable family project.  I have never paid attention so closely about the slavery except the major historical summary because no one was around me to make a connection to this subject until now.  The lady in front of me was the descendant of the tragic history of our country.  Sadly, the human trafficking was the legal business in order to live "harmoniously".  These people who were brought from Africa didn't have any human rights.  They were not allowed to communicate but had to do whatever they were ordered by the traders, merchants, and owners.  I have a tremendous amount of respect for Moncure clan's  and Dewolf clan's effort to untangle the stories that have never told.  Yes, the communication is highly valued to learn and share about the pains and struggles in our country's history.  Don't seal the wound scar with a band-aid before you clean it out.  It is going to infected.  Just because the people have done that in the past for a long time, we had no chance to learn it.  Many people like Pat decided to rip open the band-aid to start the conversation.  I admire their action and courage to educate our country's pain and healing.

Another story awaited at home.  I found out that a mother of my daughter's friend was a half Japanese.  I asked her, "Does she live around here?"  She dropped her head and said, "She passed away when I was eight."  She continued, "I have three cousins in Japan whom I have never met.  When my sister talked to them, they said something like, 'You are too American.  You are not welcomed.'  So I don't know my roots in Japan.  I wish I could.  Only I know is where my mother was born."  A lady at the graduation party was right.  Some people in Japan wouldn't prefer the way we communicate.   It hit me severely.  It also made me to determine, I will find her root in Japan when I visit Japan.  I will volunteer to be the communicator, like Sacajawea.  I hope my communication unites several branches in her identity, especially, who she is now and where her blood was coming from.  Compassion and appreciation will be developed by learning about ourselves, which will create a true "diverse" community.  It's time to celebrate!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment