Sunday, July 1, 2012

Behind the Scene

More I talk with people and the more I read the newspaper, the further away from my understanding of Japan.  It almost seems like my educaitonal knowledge and experiences, which I have been proud of their variety in two different countries, are just a tip of iceberg.  Connecting the dots is hard enough in the educational field, but there are millions of more dots spread in the different field such as cultural, historical, traditional, social, habitual, etc.  How am I going to do?

You will see the "Sample of Works Consulted" at the end of the Common Core Standards for Mathematics.  Some of them pove, on their own reserch, that Asian countires' have superior performance in mathematics.  It is clear that these successful results are founded upon their systematic and concrete curriculum, including Japan.  Teachers are required to memorize the National Standards in order to pass the teachers' examination which is held only once a year in each prefecture.  This well developed curriculum with the knowledgeable teachers produce students with strong math skills.  Therefore, the recent focus in the U.S.education is having a efficient curriculum with quality teachers.  Now I am learning that this perfect country is not necesarily perfect because I hear Japanese mothers' endless complaints in education.

While driving in downtown, several signs say, "Your Child's Success is Promised!", "For Prestigious Junior High School, High School, and College!"  "Saturday Class is Open!"etc.  These are all Cram Schools a.k.a.  "JUKU" http://members.tripod.com/h_javora/jed3.htm.  If Japanese public education is so extraordinary, why do people go to another school after regular school days?  I wonder how much Juku would contribute on Japanese students in the nation's worldly high rank.  Why is Juku good business in Japan?  Is it even important to exist in order to maintain students' superior performance internationally?

"My 2nd grade son has a difficult time completing worksheets," my cousin sighed.  I asked, "Homework?"  Her serious answer was, "Yes, the homework from Juku."  My jaw dropped open.  The story went on; This child showed difficulty on school homework and juku homework since the beginning of the school year.    "You are a teacher.  What do you think?" she looked at my eyes.

Hierachy is something Japanese people cannot completley abandon from their lives  They still judge others based on which school they graduated.  Belonging to the prestagious school equals thier child's success, so they have to prepare for the exam since they are still an infant.   While mothers often talk to other mothers about their children after thier husbands leave for work, their frets grow.  For example, "Mrs. Yamada's child memorized multiplication facts, but not mine.  What should I do?" 

I asked my cousin, "Have you talked to your son's teacher?"  She replied, "No.  But I looked for some Juku brochure."  It is disappointing for me to learn that some Japanese parents wouldn't even try to communicate with their teachers regards to thier child's concern.  Teacher is the out of option about thier child's academic concerns!  My cousin told me, "Well, everybody is same.  Most people don't ask teachers or we don't know how to address issues to teachers."   Calling, emailing, writing, talking to the teacher, I thought, were common sense.  She thanked me, "I will call his teacher tomorrow.  Thank you for your idea."  She looked satisfied to be able to connect a couple of dots.  I, too, felt delighted that one dot from America and another from Japan are some how connected although there are countless dots that  await to be connected.  Let's do one by one.


No comments:

Post a Comment