Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Learning from Pain

In the morning after the first night in Japan, I woke up feeling some discomfort on my back.  It was quite evident: the tatami mats.  A futon was not thick enough to protect my exhausted body on the hard floor  although I grew up with this exact style.  It reminded me of how long I have been away from this particular culture.  The next day, I noticed minor soreness on my thighs, shins, and bottom.  What did I do?  Here is the answer, "Going to School".   I decided to walk for half a mile to school with my kids and back home.  When school is over, I pick up each child because thier dismissal time is different.  In addition, sometimes I have to run for some errands on foot.  Three round trips with some extra; I am walking for a little over 3 miles a day.  It used to be the regular routine while growing up, but it took me a long time to remember the good old days. 

The important remark is here: the physical "pain" often gives you some clue that you have to pay attention.  Especially, when you are sick or injured, pain and its scale significantly help you and your doctor to understand and find the treatment for your body.  In some cases, the significant chest pain is from the extreme emotion such as grief.   My pain (I know it's minor!) I am experiencing right now, too, is a kind of sign that I have to notice.

Not only with my siblings, but also with cousins and friends, I used to play and sleep over on the traditional rice straw mats.  Unlike individual beds, sleeping on the floor as a big group of kids is just another party at night.  It is like an indoor camp without a tent.  They don't even require flash lights or sleeping bags, but futons.  Tatami was born a long time ago from geographical and historical uniquenss of this country (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatami)  along with other rice based products, e.g., Sake, Miso, etc.  Just like Native American Indian using ceder trees for the log house, basket, cloths, Japanese people have utilized rice in thier lives wisely. 

While walking to school, we see the tiny green baby oranges that just started to grow for the early winter harvest.  The leafs that are larger than your whole head wave at us with the gentle wind.  Japanese nightingales are charping over head.  Passing people bow each other to greet.  With some exceptions like obnoxious drivers who don't stop or even slow down for the pedestrians (!),  walking will make you a special "private eye" in the rural community. 

Another interesting thing is the school dismissal.  After the 15 minute closing meeing, the sixth grade students say "Sayonara" with a deep bow to ther teacher in the class.  The teacher dismisses each child at the door, then, the students stay in the hallway until everybody is out from the classroom.  Together, they go down from the 3rd floor and move to one area in the school yard, of course after changing thier indoor shoes to outside shoes.  Each single file of many lines represents the group that goes home to the similar direction.  A teacher then announces for dismisal.  It is a shockingly long process just for going home, but that is the way of keeping children safe.  In fact, not only 6th grade, but every class and grade level does the exact same routine as I learn.  Instead of school buses and parents' pick up, the school promote kids their independence and teamwork. 

At the end of each busy day, I sit on the tatami mat and start yoga, contemplating of appreciation and respect on diversity that I am able to celebrate with my own children.  Hoping, the soreness on my bottom will be gone shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment