Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Differentiation in Action

 Math Kids


Differentiated instruction sounds quite important in both Japan and the U.S.  It doesn't surprise me if there are some different approaches between the two countries.  But don't you think it's a wonderful idea to take the best extracts from each country and put them together in my own classroom?

Walk to Math instructional model has been practiced in an elementary school in Tokyo where I visited last summer.  It was the similar model of Walk to Read that has been popularly used in Reading First schools in the U.S.  Basically, students are placed to the most appropriate achievement level by the initial screening assessment.  The beliefs behind is that students could receive more focused instructions in the homogenous groups than heterogeneous groups.   To close the academic gap, each teacher takes less students than original classroom by dividing two classes into three groups.  Principal of  this school sounded pleased and proud of her teachers' collaboration team and effectiveness in students' performances. 

While visiting this Japanese School, the assistant principal shared with me about "Tokyo Minimum," the special instructional guide based on the research result conducted by the Tokyo Metropolitan Education Department.  The study found some critical points in the literacy and math.   The critical points, they define, are the skills for foundation for the next level.  For example in math, composing and decomposing 5 and 10 are considered to be critical in 1st grade.  In order to be competent in additions and subtractions in grade 2, students need to demonstrate efficient manipulation skills with fives and tens. I was thinking, if there were some weakness found in Japan, it would be quite a few in the U.S.  Perhaps the critical points might be similar.  In reality, number sense was one of the topics that Tokyo educational officials urged to improve as the same weak area as Measurement of Academic Progress identified in my class.

While contemplating, Math para educator stepped in my room.   "Good news!  I will be available for 30 minutes because of the schedule change."  What a great timing!  Now I have three adults in my room for 30 minutes for 3 days a week; myself, para teacher, and a student teacher.   Quickly I redesigned my math period with the focused (on number sense) center activities which I named "Number Lab". The different level of activities and activities are pulled and instructed by the trained staff.   The computer math program is in the rotation to strengthen their skills as well.  Later I found that the math coach would be willing to join Number Lab for 2 days a week, which makes our program for 5 days a week!  Reorganized the bookshelf to store different worksheets for the different levels, created the tentative monthly plan, and introduced to my students about Number Lab.   I get to sit closely with my students to play games and facilitate the conversation.  "I don't want to quit," one child whined when the ending bell rang.  I look forward to checking their progress of place value and multi-digit addition and subtraction.   Differentiation, at least for now, gives all children positive and confident experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment